Temporary Resident Permit for Domestic Violence

Sep 29, 2022 | News

In general, domestic violence is defined as a form of abuse or neglect committed by a family member. In this case, the TRP applies to victims of spousal violence by a spouse or common-law partner. When assessing eligibility for a TRP, officials will assess whether an undeclared foreign national:
Are physically present in Canada and have been victims of violence by their spouse or common-law partner during their stay, including physical, sexual or psychological abuse, financial abuse or neglect;
The desire to obtain permanent resident status requires them to maintain a good faith relationship in the presence of violence, and such a relationship with an abusive spouse or common-law partner is essential to maintaining the foreign national’s status in Canada.
The following foreigners are eligible:
Applicants who are spouses or common-law partners in the Domestic or Canadian (CFS) category who have left their sponsor due to abuse or who have not left their sponsor for fear of losing their immigration status;
Cannot be assessed for permanent residence because their sponsor (spouse or abusive common-law partner) has withdrawn their sponsorship application under the family class or the CFCE class;
Be misled by an abusive spouse or common-law partner into believing that their application for permanent residence in the family class or CPCLS has been submitted and is being processed, when in fact it is not;
Be a temporary resident who intends to apply for permanent residence and provide evidence of a good faith relationship despite the violence, but the application may not have been processed. In such cases, while the intention to apply for permanent resident status may be difficult to prove accurately, the officer must weigh all the circumstances presented and make a judgment on a case-by-case basis to determine whether the individual meets the eligibility criteria for the TRP.
In accordance with the appropriate ministerial directive, the officer must consider the applicant’s relationship with Canada and factors related to child custody or other family law matters.
What does domestic violence mean
Domestic violence can be more than just physical violence. A person may experience one or more forms of violence, including:

Physical violence, such as assault and forced imprisonment;
Sexual violence, such as non-consensual sexual contact;
psychological violence, such as threats and intimidation;
financial abuse, such as fraud and extortion;
Neglect, which includes failing to meet a person’s basic needs, such as:
medical insurance
any act or omission involving a risk of serious injury;
Dependent foreign children may also be victims or witnesses of abuse or neglect.

Recent Posts

How to I find a job in Canada

To obtain a closed work permit, you must have a job offer. This means that a Canadian company must hire you. There are various ways to apply for a job in Canada. You can attend a foreign worker recruitment event, apply on a job posting site or directly on the...

What immigration programs can I apply for?

IRCC has an online tool called Come to Canada. It helps foreign nationals find out if they may be eligible to apply as immigrants, visitors, workers or students in Canada.This tool guides you through some questions about your personal and work history. Based on your...

Pre-arrival services

Pre-arrival services are free online or in-person programs for people who have been approved to immigrate to Canada.Pre-arrival services offer information to better understand life in Canada, how to find a job, and how to access other free settlement services when...

Prepare to work in Canada

Once you get your pre-arrival service letter, IRCC can help you prepare to find work in Canada. They can help you: search for and find employment write your Canadian-style resume learn about Canadian workplace culture find a mentor with experience prepare to get your...

Call us

450 977-0066

Email us


Free Online Assessment