Foreign nationals wishing to work in Canada on a temporary basis usually require a work permit.

Temporary Foreign Worker Program

The TFWP offers work permits for candidates whose employers obtain a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

A positive LMIA confirms there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job at hand and that no Canadian worker is available to do the job.

International Mobility Program 

IMP work permits do not require a positive LMIA. They do require the employer to submit an employment offer under their employer portal.

Canada issues two types of work permits: employer-specific work permits and open work permits. 

Open Work Permit 

An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, but they are issued only in specific circumstances. 

Temporary Foreign Worker Program

The TFWP is intended to help Canadian employers recruit foreign workers in response to labour market shortages. 

TFWP is made up of four streams: high-skilled workers, low-skilled workers, the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program, and the Live-In Caregiver Program. 

Foreign workers must have an approved job offer and a work permit before arriving in Canada under the TFWP. 

Let’s Start a Conversation Today!